This is a family favourite and delicious served with peas, mashed potato and home made onion gravy..
Toad in the Hole
- 8 – 12 good quality pork sausages
- vegetable oil
- 150g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 150 ml milk
- 110 ml water
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C (200C fan oven) , 425F, Gas mark 7.
- To make the batter sieve the flour into a large bowl, holding the sieve up high to get some air through the flour. Next make a well in the centre, break the eggs into it and add a good dash of salt and pepper.
- Measure the milk and water in a measuring jug, then, using an electric hand whisk on a slow speed, begin to whisk the egg into the flour – as you whisk, the flour around the edges will slowly be incorporated. Then add the liquid gradually, stopping to scrape the flour into the mixture. This can also be done using a hand whisk.Whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Take an oven proof flame proof roasting tray (approx 12 x 8 inches) and pop the sausages in with a little oil to prevent them sticking. Cook for around 10 minutes before removing on to the hob. Quickly pour your batter in and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes until the batter is crispy and the sausages browned.
- Serve immediately with mash, peas and onion gravy.