This is one of those recipes that can be adapted to whatever is in the fridge on the day. I like this dish as I can prepare it and stick it in the oven for two hours and not worry about it. I love it served with new potatoes and fresh green vegetables or frozen peas. Chicken thighs on the bone should, in theory, result in a tastier casserole but I have recently been using boned and skinned chicken thighs as the whole lot gets eaten and I can’t notice any difference in flavour. The anchovies are optional but add a depth of flavour you will miss. This is also great if on a budget as chicken thighs are cheap.
Winter Chicken Casserole
- dash olive oil
- 30g butter
- 1 large onion
- 1kg boned skinless chicken thighs
- 120g chorizo
- 1 pepper (red or yellow)
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 4 anchovies (optional)
- 1 small red chilli
- 150g mushrooms (any)
- 20 – 25 green or black olives
- 1 glass red wine
- 400g tin tomatoes
- a bay leaf
- pinch sugar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan)/350F/Gas4
- Begin by prepping everything. Halve the onion then slice thinly. Slice the chorizo as thin as a pound coin, chop the pepper in to thin slices, quarter the mushrooms, finely chop the chilli and peel and crush the garlic.
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs and cut each one into about 3 even pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based casserole and fry the chicken on a medium heat just to get a bit of colour on it. (Don’t crowd the pan -you might need to do this in batches). Remove the chicken in to a bowl, add the butter to the pan and soften the onion and pepper for 5 minutes. Then you can add the chorizo, chilli, mushrooms and anchovies and stir for a further couple of minutes. Finally stir in the crushed garlic for a minute or two.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the wine and let bubble for a couple of minutes. Finally add the tin of chopped tomatoes, the bay leaf,,the olives, plenty of salt and pepper and a half teaspoon of sugar.
- Place in the oven for at least two hours.
- Serve with new potatoes or mash and some fresh vegetables.